18 Feb 2011

Relevant artist research

Yuri Norstein


I've chosen Yuri Norsteins' animation, The Hedgehog in the Fog (1975) as it contains a lot of relevant imagery, techniques and art styles I want to accomplish in my own piece.


I particularly like the use of lighting in this animation, switching between light sources and depth of field. Chiarioscuro and film noir lighting has always played a big part in the majority of my work and i want to continue that my animation.

Also relavent in this piece, is the side view walk cycles, the short legs and large body of the hedgehog clearly made the animation process simple. 

Interestingly he's used what appears to be photography of a crafted tree in part of the animation. This is a technique that hadn't occured to me and may be something for consideration at some point during my production.

No comments:

Post a Comment